State Farm runs a variety of programs focused on everything from teen drivers to consumer tips and safety. Their latest program launched last month.
State Farm Neighborhood Assist is a micro-grant initiative encouraging individuals and community groups to submit Causes on Facebook, projects to make their communities safer, stronger or better educated. Up to 3,000 Cause submissions are accepted, from which State Farm’s Youth Advisory Board selects 200 finalists. Those 200 finalists are posted on the application for public voting. After two weeks of voting, the top 40 vote-getters are announced. Each of these Causes will receive $25k to support their mission.
Last year, State Farm’s Neighborhood Assist awarded grants all around the nation. You can find more information on all the winners here.
Before you hit the road, make sure your preparation includes getting your car ready for warmer temperatures to help you save time, money, and headaches during your trip:
- Consider a pre-trip inspection by a qualified technician; repairs can be more costly on the road.
- Check the air conditioning. You may want to have a professional inspect the entire system.
- Check the air pressure in all tires, including the spare, to make sure they are properly inflated.
- Inspect batteries and battery cables for corrosion, cracks, and dirt.
- Have a licensed brake adjuster inspect your brake pads and linings for wear.
You’ve packed up your suitcase and planned your itinerary, but before you leave for vacation, take the time to protect your home while you’re away:
- Alert your alarm company you’ll be gone
- Secure valuables in a safe deposit box or safe
- Disconnect the computer, TV, stereo, and other electronics, or make sure they are plugged safely into a surge protector
- Set exterior and interior lights on a timer to deter burglars
- Lock all doors and windows, even in the garage, and don’t leave a spare key outdoors
The great American road trip is a time-honored tradition. It’s fun, flexible, offers almost infinite possibilities and can be tailored to meet your family’s vacation interests and budget.
A little planning goes a long way so keep these tips in mind:
- Rental cars: Find out whether you need insurance for your rental car, get the right vehicle for your family, and be sure to check the rental thoroughly before driving off the lot
- Meals: Look for free breakfasts, pack a cooler with healthy snacks and seek out healthy fast food options ahead of time.
- Keep your health insurance cards and policy numbers with you at all times. Know what your insurance covers when you’re out of town, and how to contact their customer service representatives, along with your primary care physician and dentist.
- At least one adult family member should have a good working knowledge of first aid; the more people who do, the better. Carry a basic first aid kit, too.
- Know how to load your vehicle securely.
- Review the steps to follow if you happen to get in an accident while on the road.
CHECK OUT THE SUMMER TRAVEL TIPS INFOGRAPHIC FROM STATE FARM
WIN A STATE FARM ROAD TRIP PRIZE PACK HERE!
One lucky reader of The Divine Miss Mommy will win a State Farm Road Trip prize pack. To enter, leave a mandatory comment (before taking any other entries) below giving me your favorite tip from the State Farm website.
The prize pack includes:
London Fog Weekender bag
Road side assistance kit
First aid kit
State Farm Dog
Sunscreen and Bug repellant
BONUS ENTRIES FOR EXTRA CHANCES TO WIN
Enter any of my other giveaways– take five entries for each one that you enter.
Blog about the giveaway as a separate post and link to thedivinemissmommy.com. Leave the link to your post in the comment.
Add a relevant comment to any non-giveaway posts on my blog. Comment on any or all.
Follow Contigo on Twitter.
List this giveaway on any giveaway linky or giveaway site
Add the Divine Miss Mommy button to your blogroll or sidebar
Give me K+ on Klout in Social Media, Blogging or Moms and Tweet about it. You can do each topic once per day (so 6 entries per day total). Leave your Klout name in the comments so I can check it on my list.
Add me to one of your Google+ circles. Leave your Google+ name in the comments.
Post the giveaway on your Facebook wall. Leave me a link to it in the comments. – Once per week
Leave a comment on The Divine Miss Mommy on Facebook wall - once per week
Follow @StacieinAtlanta on Twitter (that’s me!)
Tweet about the contest (up to 4 X per day – Subscribers can tweet every 2 hours or 12 X per day). Tweet MUST have the giveaway item, the word giveaway in the tweet and a link to this post along with @StacieinAtlanta in it.You must have at least 100 followers and your Twitter account must be a public account (no protected Tweets).
Giveaway ends 8/25/13 at 11:59 PM EST. Entrants must be 18 or older and located in the US only. Winner to be chosen at random. All entries must be properly recorded in the comments to count (i.e. Link to tweets, Facebook page, etc). Winner will be notified via email and has 24 hours to respond. If winner does not respond, a new winner will be chosen and notified.