Today is National Pasta Day and CLASSICO wants to help you pay tribute to the perfection of pasta! In the spirit of the occasion, they are challenging you to break away from the same old standard spaghetti and create a delicious new dish featuring Classico® sauce.
We made lasagna with the Classico Creamy Spinach and Parmesan Seasonal Sauce and this time I even added fresh spinach and squash to it. My kids had no idea and they loved it!
CLASSICO CLASSIC LASAGNA RECIPE
- 1 jar (24 oz.) Classico® Florentine Spinach and Cheese Pasta Sauce
- 8 Lasagna noodles
- 15 oz. Ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup(s) Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cup(s) Shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 pound(s) Sweet or hot Italian-style bulk sausage
- Fresh tomatos diced
1. Preheat oven 350°F. Cook pasta al dente according to package instructions. Drain and set aside. In a medium bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, eggs and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium high heat, brown sausage for 4 to 6 minutes, or until cooked through, stirring until small crumbles form. Add tomatoes right at the end for the last minute of cooking.
3. Spread 1 cup of Pasta Sauce evenly over the bottom of a 13×9 baking dish. Layer with 1/2 of cooked lasagna noodles, 1/2 of ricotta cheese mixture, 1/2 of cooked sausage, 1/2 of remaining Pasta Sauce and 1/2 of remaining mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers.
4. Bake uncovered for about 40 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
If desired, substitute Classico Florentine Spinach & Cheese Pasta Sauce with Classico Fire Roasted Tomato & Garlic Pasta Sauce.
WATCH THE PASTA PAIRING VIDEO:
In the spirit of full-disclosure, I’ve partnered with Classico and received product, coupons, premium items and reader giveaway coupons as part of my participation. However, no payment was given or expected for posting about the program, and as always, all opinions given here are fully my own.