Homemade marshmallows are deliciously soft and creamy―delightful in a cup of cocoa. The addition of crushed peppermint makes this recipe perfect for the holidays. They may also be dipped in chocolate for a special addition to a plate of holiday treats.
A cellophane bag of homemade marshmallows tied with ribbon, peeping out of a festive mug, makes a perfect hostess gift.
CANDY CANE MARSHMALLOWS
Makes approximately 6-7 dozen marshmallows
1/2 cup cold water
3 packages of unflavored gelatin
2 cups sugar
2/3 cup Karo Syrup (light)
1/4 cup hot water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
6 candy canes (1/2 ounce each), crushed
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1. Lightly oil a 9-inch or 10-inch square pan.
2. Line the pan with plastic wrap, and lightly oil. (The oiled pan holds the plastic in place, making it easier to oil.)
3. In a small bowl, mix together the powdered sugar and cornstarch. Set aside.
4. Put 1/2 cup of cold water into a large mixing bowl (use a stand mixer, if you have one) and sprinkle with the gelatin. Allow to sit for 10 minutes to soften.
5. While the gelatin is softening, bring sugar, Karo syrup, and hot water to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. When it begins to boil, stop stirring and let it cook for 2 minutes.
6. Pour the hot syrup slowly over the gelatin while mixing on low speed.
7. Add salt and beat on high until stiff peaks form. Depending on your mixer, this could be from 5 to 10 minutes.
9. Spread immediately in prepared pan and sprinkle with reserved crushed candy canes.
11. Turn the pan of marshmallows out onto a cutting board dusted with a little of the powdered sugar and cornstarch mixture.
12. Cut into strips of desired width, using an oiled knife or pizza cutter. If you use the pizza cutter, try dipping it into the powdered sugar mixture to make it easier to cut. The marshmallows are sticky! You may also use a cookie cutter.
14. When all of the marshmallows have been cut and dredged, shake the strainer to remove extra powdered sugar.
15. Store in an airtight bag or container.